Revised: February 2000
R5 Fire Cache Subcommittee
Regional Fire Equipment Committee
The Cache Subcommittee shall submit input and recommendations in writing
to the Regional Fire Equipment Committee for Regional implementation. The
Subcommittee will also report on implemented actions taken by the caches.
Through an interagency member committee, reviews cache performance
in responding to fire suppression and presuppression efforts, including:
Review input submitted to Fire Cache Managers from field units, compiling
data, and determining which items can be implemented by the caches. Makes
recommendations to the Regional Fire Equipment Committee for approval and/or
presents issues/needs to the National Wildfire Suppression Equipment Conference
or National Fire Equipment System Committee. Chairperson will represent the
Region at the National Wildfire Suppression Equipment Conference.
- Adequacy and effectiveness of stocking levels as recommended by Cache
- Evaluation of usage trends to determine deletion of items no longer
- Setting standards for Base/Camp components (tables, chairs etc), contents
of the Fire Equipment Catalog, and specialized equipment, in concurrence
with other agencies.
- Deployment of Base/Camp unit and/or components.
- Proposals for evaluations of new concepts and products for inclusion
as a fire cache item.
- Search out and encourage interagency cache opportunities.
Reviews and evaluates Work Improvement Suggestions referred from the Regional
Fire Equipment Committee, and recommends disposition. Work Improvement Suggestions
referred directly to subcommittee members that appear to have Region-wide
application will be returned to the origination source with a recommendation
for Regional submission through normal channels.
The Cache Subcommittee will consist of 12 members selected on the basis
of interest, subject matter expertise, and willingness to contribute to incident
and project cache support needs. The Cache Chair will be a R5 Forest FMO.
Membership will be composed of the following:
- North Zone Fire Cache Manager.
- South Zone Fire Cache Manager.
- California Department of Forestry Material Management Representative.
- California Department of Forestry Ranger District Representative.
- Bureau of Land Management Representative (Fire and Logistics oriented).
- Fire Management Technician GS-9 or below (Hotshot).
- Fire Management Technician GS-8 or below (Engine).
- R5 Division Chief
- Fire Management Officer
- Qualified Logistics Section Chief
- San Dimas Technology & Development Center Advisor
- Regional Office Fire & Aviation Management Staff Advisor
A representative of the Regional Office, Aviation and Fire Management Staff,
will serve as advisor and contact for the chairperson, and will attend meetings
when necessary. A member of the subcommittee may serve more than one of the
positions, as qualified. Specialists or ad hoc participants may be utilized
for specialized or limited term assignments, as needed.
- Forest Service member replacement will be by recommendation from the Cache
Subcommittee to the Regional Fire Equipment Committee.
- For other agency member replacement, a request will be made to the respective
Selection of Chairperson
The chairperson will be selected by the Cache Subcommittee, subject to
approval of the Regional Fire Equipment Committee. The chairperson will attend
all Regional Fire Equipment Committee meetings.
Meetings will be held at the chairperson's discretion to provide timely
input to the Regional Fire Equipment Committee at their scheduled meetings.
Typically, the Cache Subcommittee meets in the spring and fall, and as needed
to address special issues.